Monday, July 14, 2008

The Island: Zakynthos

And then we left Athens.

It felt good to leave that concrete, traffic, and the theives.

We're in Zakinthos now. Today, we took a ferry, only 20 Euro, and it took us clear around the entire island, I think this is the 2nd or 3rd largest of all the islands, and it is beautiful, especially from the water.

The boat stopped 4 different times allowing us to swim. We went to the famous ship-wreck beach. I guess it's the most photographed spot in all of Greece...more than the Parthenon?

The water was incredible! I didn't care much for the ship. It wrecked in the 1983, the crew of 5 managed to get out but the were caught smuggling booze and I don't know what else. The ship itself was very rusted and falling apart. People were climbing onto it but, after a few photos, I headed back to the water before getting back on board our ship for barbqued savlaki and chips (they look at you funny here if you say fries).

So we swam, and swam and swam.

Now we're back at the hotel (interent is only 4 Euro/hour). We'll be heading to a twice recommended taverna tonight around 10 for authentic Greek food. Yum. I've been hungry and eating all day. But a real meal is just want I need.

The bar tender here is cute. And he makes very good drinks. It's happy hour now, only 2.50 for a cocktail that normally runs around 6. And the "sex on the beach" here is not a shot but a full glass with ice, lots and lots of ice as my bra grows wet with sweat. But that's ok because tonight we're paying the extra 7.50 for air conditioning. YAY for the little things.

No comments: