Kardamili is a village in the Penellopese penninsula. Actually, it's more like three peninsulas down at the bottom mainland Greece. Here, I work for Erhard. He's a German ex-pat who's lived in Ireland for 14 years before deciding that teh weather was better in Greece. He bought this land here around 3 years ago and has been harvesting olives on it ever since. He also happens to be a terrific cook and speaks with a british accent. Nikki, the other woofer here, thinks he sounds like the baby brain on Family guy.
The work stinks though. We leave the house by work van at 6:30 a.m. and head to the land. After a beautiful drive over the ancient bridge, and ten minutes, we arrive on the property. Our job there is very basic and always the same. We are clearing. This means that we take all cut branches, dead and live, and push them into the chipper. there is a picture of Erhard driving the tractor to another area for clearing. And behind the tractor is the chipper. there is a flute on top where the chipped branches fly out and sometimes onto our sweaty skins.
We work there until around 11:30, when the sun is too hot to continue to work under, then head back to the house where we shower, eat, and sleep. Today i did laundry. I think it dried on the line within 30 minutes... lunch was yummy and simple. I ate sliced french bread, olives from the farm, feta cheese with wild thyme I'd gathered from the land and olive oil (again from the land), cucumber and a potatoe salad made by Erhard by a recipe his German mother had given him. Yum. washed down with a cold beer, only half before falling asleep.
Now that I've napped, we'll be going to the beach again in an hour or two before grilling some German sausages for dinner to go with that potato salad anda tsatsiki he made yesterday.
The work here is hard, but I think I have just another week before my real vacation begins, Eden arrives, and we pay to stay.
No comments:
Post a Comment